One kind word of encouragement, one smile or one hug at the right time can be life-changing. I am always amazed at how little it takes to put a smile on someone’s face and raise their spirits.
“People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
An encouraging word…it’s the gift that keeps on giving.
I don’t think you’ll ever fully know the extent to which a kind word might benefit another person.
Can you think of a time when you were having a difficult day? Or weren’t doing as well as you’d hoped to on a project/assignment/goal? Or when you were feeling down, less than, depressed…
and then SOMEBODY gave you a compliment, an encouraging or kind word, a pat on the back, an arm squeeze (when we were allowed to touch each other 🙃), or simply a SMILE??
Your mood instantly changed.
Your spirits lifted.
You felt more confident.
You felt more determined.
You felt heard, understood.
YOU FELT BETTER!
Did it require a huge gesture to notice these changes?? I doubt it.
Sometimes the smallest gesture, a smile, is all it takes to encourage another human being.
And another funny thing happens when you give some encouragement, not only does the other person feel better, YOU feel better in knowing you made a positive impact on their day and life. Giving encouragement has a reciprocal effect! It’s like magic!
Giving encouragement will:
Lift YOUR spirits.
Make YOU feel kind and compassionate.
Put YOU in a better mood.
Make YOUR day a little brighter. ☀️
In light of everything that is going on in our world today, I believe people are in desperate need of encouragement.
Here are some easy ways you can encourage others:
1. When you see something you like, enjoy, appreciate – whether it’s something about another person, something they are doing, something they are wearing…tell them.
2. When you receive exceptional service, let it be known. And not only to the person delivering the great service, mention it to their supervisor! I started my professional career in customer service and believe me when I tell you, this is SO appreciated. Usually the manager or supervisor only gets called over when there is a complaint. You not only make the employee’s day when you thank or compliment them directly, trust me, that manager would love to hear something positive!
3. When somebody is making an effort, acknowledge it!
4. Even in situations that don’t go exactly as planned, look for the positive in the situation and be sure to point that out. There is always a lesson to be learned, even when things don’t go as planned.
5. BUILD UP other people and their suggestions. If somebody has recommended something to you, shared something with you, shown you how to do something, be sure to give them credit and let other’s know about it. It’s a great confidence boost to that person.
6. When you introduce a friend to somebody new, include something you love about them in the introduction.
7. Send a short note, text, message to a friend. A short, “I’m thinking about you” gets the point across and will put a smile on their face.
8. Hold the door for somebody, pick up something they’ve dropped (are we allowed to still do this in light of COVID? 🙄), say hello.
9. SMILE! 😊
Almost everybody enjoys being encouraged from time-to-time. It doesn’t take much for you to make somebody’s day, lift their spirits, and possibly even change their life. So, I encourage you to look for opportunities to be an encouragement to others.